April 5, 2019

How to Petition for Parents to Come to the United States

Many United States citizens have parents wholive in foreign countries, and they want to unite the family in the U.S. Thereis a specific immigration process to petition the government to allow yourparents to join you here, though it is not always an easy one. You shoulddiscuss your specific situation with an immigration lawyer in Orange Countybefore you begin the process.

First, in order to file a petition for yourparents, you must be at least 21 years old. You must accurately complete theproper forms and provide the following documents:

  • Proof of your citizenship ornaturalization
  • Your U.S. Passport
  • Your birth certificate showingyour mother’s name to petition for your mother
  • Your birth certificate showingboth parents’ names and a marriage certificate of your parents to petition foryour father

There are many other scenarios that willrequire different documents, including:

  • You want to petition for astep-parent or adoptive parent
  • You want to petition for a fatherwhen your parents were not married (whether or not your father legitimized yourrelationship by your 18th birthday)
  • Your parent’s name has changedfrom the name on your birth certificate

Aside from the paperwork, there can be otherrequirements, including financial sponsorship of your parents, showing they areeligible to enter the United States, and more. Once your parents receive a visato enter the U.S., you can apply for a change of status to permanentresident. 

Consultwith an Experienced Immigration Lawyer in Orange County Today

Our Orange County immigration attorneybelieves in helping families stay together and can provide important assistanceduring this process. Please do not hesitate to call Brudner Law for assistancewith any family or business immigration-related matter. Call 714.794.9366 or contact us online today.

Our Latest Blog

Our Recent Blogs