March 5, 2019

Many U.S. citizens have family members living in foreign countries who wish to be reunited. Citizens can sponsor certain family members to become permanent residents, which allows them to remain in the U.S. indefinitely, receive a green card, and have an eventual path to citizenship themselves. If you want to discuss your specific situation, you should contact an immigration lawyer in Orange County. The following is some basic information about sponsoring family members for green cards.

QualifiedFamily Members

As a U.S. citizen, you can sponsor immediatefamily members, including:

  • Parents
  • Spouses
  • Unmarried children under age 21

You also may be able to sponsor other closefamily members, though with lesser preference, meaning they will likely have towait longer:

  • Unmarried children over age 21
  • Married children
  • Siblings


First, each family member must have aqualified financial sponsor in the U.S. This helps ensure that they will notbecome a public charge according to immigration law. If you do not meet the qualifications to financially sponsor all intended family members, you may seek joint sponsors.

You must then fill out the necessary formscompletely and accurately, provide supporting evidence of the information inthe application and of your citizenship, and pay the necessary fees. You willneed to file a separate application form for each family members, includingeach minor child. Note that USCIS does not accept all petitions, so you shouldseek help with the application process from a qualified immigration attorney.If accepted, your relative will be in line for a visa, and may later be able toapply for an adjustment of status to get a green card.

DiscussYour Option with an Immigration Lawyer in Orange County

If you have any family-based immigrationquestions or concerns, you should consult with an Orange County immigrationattorney at Brudner Law. Call 714.794.9366 or contact usonline today to schedule a consultation.

Our Latest Blog

Our Recent Blogs